I try to keep a record of my observations of wireless things happening around the world, in particular in Malaysia. My interests are broadband wireless access (BWA), 3G cellular communications, wireless sensor networks and vehicular ad-hoc network (VANET).

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Broadband wireless access

A company with core business in fibre optic communication approached me to provide advice on venturing into wireless access business yesterday.

The company has set up its optical backbone network, FTTC for condo, apartment in PJ and Penang. This is the right move for them. In fact Korean is using this model. The price for a 2Mbps uplink and downlink is only RM60. I think many people will want to go for it. Expecially, many people have fade up with the exisitng incumbant ISP.

It is also wise to look into tappinng the advantages of Wireless, where access to user to convenient, fast, and with mobility. Sound interesting in this combination of FTTC + Wireless. I suggest to them to use WiFi mesh which can provide coverage extension, a business model proposed for WiFi mesh.

No comments: