I try to keep a record of my observations of wireless things happening around the world, in particular in Malaysia. My interests are broadband wireless access (BWA), 3G cellular communications, wireless sensor networks and vehicular ad-hoc network (VANET).

Friday, March 03, 2006

Point to point directional antenna alignment

During a recent consultancy work, I faced a problem in getting good antenna alignment.
I was reported that the packet error is very low or zero, latency is high (a few hundred ms), but very low throughput. The SNR is about 10dB.
The most possible reason: distance too far (1km in this experiment with IEEE 802.11a). However, if this is the case, the packet error should be high. But, may be due to no or minimum connection.
In addition, given the fact that antenna beamwidth = 30 degree. The alignment should not be too critical. If I move closer I can get higher SNR or throughput, then that may be the problem is due to distant too long.

Here is a practical procedure that I am going to try.

3 comments:

racer11x said...

The problem is that people don't take the time to correctly align the antennas and give up. I've been installing Microwave systems for 28 years and would gladly help you out.

S/Racer11x

Anonymous said...

К слову, лучший способ защитить человека от назойливых телефонных звонков - включить Подавители сотовой связи

Unknown said...

You have done actual VSWR and DTF sweeps of the cables? Then done system sweeps to see how much the antenna degrades the system? Have you swept the antennas before installation to see they are within spec? The only things I can think of other than range of the antenna and the above mentioned would be foliage in the path, water along the path and of course fade due to atmospheric conditions and fire or smoke.
the length of your coax will be a BIG factor along with the quality of the installation. You get what you pay for:)
Let me know if any of this helps.
Stay in touch and let me know what you found.

Racer11x